Weyerhaeuser Co. today announced its sustainability performance and progress report for 2011 has been released and details the company's sustainability strategy.
The company's 2020 sustainability commitments and targets are organized under three pillars of sustainability: performance, people and planet. Each of the company's 19 sustainability commitments, and the 43 specific targets it intends to achieve by 2020, are described in detail.
A few of Weyerhaeuser's 2011 sustainability achievements include:
- Employees sustained their track record of safety excellence by maintaining a recordable incident rate of less than one.
- The company developed a plan to measure and report on a comprehensive set of 18 ecosystem services that its forests provide.
- The company launched an inclusive leadership training series for Weyerhaeuser leaders to help them boost skills in building trust, expanding their circles of influence, ensuring equal opportunity for development and growth, and demonstrating commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- The company donated $3.7 million in charitable-giving grants, and 1,364 Weyerhaeuser employees and retirees contributed 21,660 hours to volunteer projects.
- The company's cellulose fibers business reduced water use by 19 percent compared to 2007, making progress towards its goal of 20 percent by 2012. The company reduced its greenhouse gas emissions by 31 percent compared to 2000 levels, making progress towards its long-term goal of 40 percent by 2020.
- As further evidence of Weyerhaeuser's commitment to green building practices, all five of its homebuilding subsidiaries now offer the LivingSmart program to homebuyers.
Read more about sustainability trends.