Air Sealing Leads to Record Breaking HERS Index for The New American Home
For the first time, The New American Home (TNAH) featured Aerobarrier sealing technology, resulting in a HERS Index of 45, LEED Platinum certification, NGBS Emerald Certification, and meeting the requirements for ZERH certification.
On display as part of the 2018 International Builders' Show in Orlando, The New American Home showcases industry best practices, innovative design concepts, state-of-the-art products and the latest construction techniques.
AeroBarrier is affordable, easy to apply, and dramatically improves the sealing of the building envelope compared to traditional construction practice. AeroBarrier technology is especially useful for builders targeting sealing requirements of LEED, Passive House, ZERH, and/or the IECC 2015.
Tucker Bernard, Executive Director at the NAHB, has overseen TNAH project for many years and has over forty years of construction experience. Barnard said AeroBarrier shaved 5 points off the HERS Index, from a 50 to 45. "Everyone was blown away by its application and its desiccation; it is a stand-alone product," he said.
The energy rater for TNAH, Drew Smith, from Two Trails, said by using AeroBarrier it cut the Air Changes per Hour (ACH) in half, from 6 to 2.78. Smith said, "Everyone wants to see it installed on the 2019 TNAH. Products like AeroBarrier are making it possible to accomplish superior energy efficiency with little or no additional cost, as long as there is good pre planning." Along with his position at Two Trails, Smith is also Florida Building Commissioner - Green Building.
Mandalay Homes, 8-time recipient of the DOE Innovation Award, and builder of the most ZERH single-family homes in the United States is an early adopter of AeroBarrier. Mandalay's Founder, Dave Everson said, "AeroBarrier has been instrumental to our energy efficiency success and meeting our very high-performance standards."
Key points about AeroBarrier include:
- Building science professionals are embracing AeroBarrier as the most significant envelope-sealing breakthrough in recent years.
- AeroBarrier improves air quality and the health of the building area, by making it easier to control particulates.
- AeroBarrier improves the acoustics of a building area, by reducing outside noise and sealing holes as small as a hair follicle.
- AeroBarrier is GREENGUARD Gold certified.
- AeroBarrier makes it easier to meet the stringent leakage requirements of ratings, standards, and codes such as LEED, Passive House, ZERH, and the 2015 IECC.
- AeroBarrier is available in all U.S. markets.
About the HERS Index
The Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index is the industry standard by which a home's energy efficiency is measured. It's also the nationally recognized system for inspecting and calculating a home's energy performance.
Read more about creating a high-performance thermal envelope.