Dwell on Design house for sale on eBay
Looking on eBay for a kitschy gnome statue, a cookie jar or, perchance, a 520-square-foot sustainable pre-fab home? Then you're in luck, because the Modern Living Showcase house from last month's Dwell on Design 2011 show in Los Angeles is up for auction starting today through July 15. The minimum opening bid is $160,000.
The home is a green modular structure designed by architect Jonathan Davis of pieceHomes. It was built in Oregon by OneBuild Inc., and styled by Zem Joaquin and ecofabulous. It includes a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom. It was built with 2x4 studs, closed cell spray foam insulation, VaproShield and an EcoClad and cedar rain screen exterior.
Proceeds from the auction will be donated to Global Green USA to support their green building policy and education efforts nationwide.
"Zem Joaquin's 'ecofabulous house' is a great example of how we can live better with smart, elegant green building strategies and energy-efficient appliances," said Matt Peterson, president of Global Green.
Green features in the house include:
- Electrolux energy-efficient appliances
- FSC-certified EcoClad exterior cladding
- MechoShade C2C shadecloths
- Wicanders eco-friendly cork floors
- IceStone countertops made from 100 percent recycled glass and concrete
- Neil Kelly cabinets with rapidly renewable Plyboo material
- Lumens LED lights
- Modwalls recycled content tile and grout
- A reclaimed maple Stewart Wurtz countertop
- A dual-flush, high-efficiency Caroma toilet
- Water-efficient Brizo fixtures
- FSC-certified Eco Arbor Decking tiles
- Western Window Systems windows and doors
More photos of the interior and exterior of the home are visible on this slideshow.
Teena Hammond Teena Hammond has published more than 2,000 articles in People and W magazines, Women's Wear Daily, and in dozens of newspapers and books. She also wrote a home improvement, remodeling and decor column that ran in Gannett newspapers nationwide. She's interested in all things green and would love to hear from you with your story ideas.