Hybrid gas water heaters reduce carbon footprint and save utility costs (video)
In the quest for ever-greater efficiency in water heaters, companies are combining the best characteristics of the tank and tankless water heater design.
These designs work well in both retrofit and new home installations. For retrofit situations, sometimes a tankless water heater does not work well because of requirements for larger gas lines. That can make installation costs simply unaffordable.
Grand Hall, marketer of Eternal hybrid water heaters, has hybrid water heater models that don't require gas line upgrades and have a small footprint. That makes them ideal for retrofit installations.
Watch Kari Yeh of Grand Hall USA Inc. review Eternal hybrid water heaters.
In October, Grand Hall launched the GU120 model, which provides homeowners with endless hot water for up to two applications simultaneously such as a shower and a dishwasher. The GU120 succeeds the previously available GU100 model and adds 20 percent more BTUs. It contains Eternal's patented heat exchanger technology and is up to 96 percent thermally efficient. Everyone, including homeowners in colder climates, will be able to use the GU120 and enjoy consistent hot water without compromising water pressure.
The GU120 is ideal for residential retrofit and new construction projects due to its ease of installation, lightweight compact design, half-inch gas line connection, and convenient top mounted water taps which licensed contractors will appreciate. This new model is $1,099 after a $300 tax credit if installed by the end of 2013. Additional rebates may be available from municipalities and utilities.
Green features include:
- 100% Stainless Steel Heat Exchanger with a 2 gallon reserve tank inside
- Full flow design that does not impact water pressure for up to 2 simultaneous household applications
- Digital display for convenient temperature adjustment and self-reporting diagnostics
- 3” PVC venting material that eliminates costly installation materials required by tankless units
- Patented self-cleaning counter flow design to flush sediments out
- Compatibility with low flow Water Sense fixtures and most recirculation systems 15 year Residential No Leak heat exchanger warranty
- Meets new Ultra Low Emissions standard with virtually no carbon footprint
"The new GU120 can be installed in about the same amount of time as a standard 50-gallon gas water heater," said VP of Product and Marketing Paul Home. "Its high efficiency will help consumers reduce their energy consumption and save money. We want to improve consumers’ hot water experience without asking them to sacrifice their lifestyle."
Read more about energy-efficient water heaters.
Gary Wollenhaupt is an experienced writer and editor, with a background as a daily newspaper reporter as well as corporate and agency public relations and marketing. He is constantly looking for affordable green upgrades to make to his home in eastern Kentucky.www