Wanted: new owner for modern green home
The Claremont House, an award-winning green modern home in Chicago, remains on the market. The house, designed by architect Brad Lynch for his family, features a variety of green design techniques and technologies designed for comfort and energy efficiency.
The house fits on the same rectangular lot as the original dwelling, which was falling down around the Lynch family. Rather than move to a downtown condo, the family decided to rebuild in their familiar neighborhood.
Green features include concrete thermal mass to manage heating and cooling, windows and stairways designed to work in concert to waft breezes through the house and high-efficiency heating and cooling units. In cool weather, the open risers of the stairs allow warm air generated from the radiant floor system on the lower level to circulate upward through the strategic placement of return-air ducts.
The home is being offered for sale through Randy McGhee with Koenig & Strey Real Living in Chicago. For more information, go to the Claremont House site.
Here's a list of the honors bestowed on the Claremont House:
- 2010 residential architect Custom Home Design Award
- 2010 residential architect Architectural Design Detail Award
- 2009 Divine Detail Award from the American Institute of Architects - Chicago
- 2009 Builder's Choice Award
- 2008 Distinguished Building Award from the American Institute of Architects - Chicago
- 2008 Interior Architecture Award from the American Institute of Architects - Chicago
Pictures: Luxury green home for sale
Gary Wollenhaupt is an experienced writer and editor, with a background as a daily newspaper reporter as well as corporate and agency public relations and marketing. He is constantly looking for affordable green upgrades to make to his home in eastern Kentucky.www