Ask the Expert: Going green in the kitchen
ProudGreenHome: What are five ways to make a kitchen more green?
Anua's top five ways to make a kitchen more green:
- Don't use caustic drain openers for a clogged drain. Instead use boiling water or a drain snake to open clogs.
- Eliminate, or minimize the use of the garbage disposal to reduce the amount of fats, oils, grease and solids (FOGS) entering the wastewater stream.
- Wash dishes by hand and use a drying rack. If you must use a dishwasher, make sure it's filled to capacity every time you turn it on.
- Fix any leaks or drips and make sure the water is turned completely off.
- Install aerators in the kitchen sink faucet.
Additional responses to this question can be read in the feature section of ProudGreenHome.
Tom Smith Tom Smith is the former director of operations and marketing at Anua. Tom is driving demand for wastewater treatment, water reuse, rainwater harvesting and odor/VOC control solutions. He has a B.A. from Duke University and an MBA from the Fuqua School of Business.