Celebrating 115 Years of Air Conditioning
What do summer blockbuster movies, boxed chocolates and skyscrapers have in common? It wasn't until modern air conditioning came to movie theaters, candy confectioners and high-rise office buildings that these industries flourished with the addition of cool, temperature-controlled air.
Now, 115 years later, Carrier marks the anniversary of modern air conditioning by highlighting recent innovative advancements and milestones that make our technology relevant today and quite simply, cooler than ever.
"Carrier continues to develop new products and push the boundaries of smart technology. Beyond keeping people cool and comfortable, Carrier products are among the most energy-efficient products available today," said Ardi Rammanee, managing director, UTC Climate, Controls & Security, Thailand. "Through persistence, world-class engineering and a relentless commitment to innovation, Carrier is cooler than ever -- and excited to deliver leading solutions to keep people around the world comfortable well into the future."
Here are seven reasons to celebrate Carrier and its game-changing air conditioning technology.
7. Carrier is constantly innovating.In fact, the air conditioning technology of the future is being developed right now. In 2016, United Technologies spent $3.7B on company and customer-funded research and development, supporting a variety of innovative new aerospace and building systems products including Carrier heating, cooling and refrigeration systems. That's a lot of "cool", hard cash.
6. Carrier keeps food fresh and cool. Modern air conditioning paved the way for Carrier's refrigeration technology for the transport and shipping of temperature-controlled cargoes. Carrier understands that "fresh" is not simply about how recently produce was harvested or products were created. It is also about the conditions in which they have been transported. That is why Carrier provides transport refrigeration solutions that allow for precise control of temperature and humidity, preserving all types of perishable cargo no matter where it needs to go.
5. Fostering a global dialogue. We believe that global dialogue can rebalance the built environment with the natural environment. We also believe that green building, which includes our high-efficiency air conditioning products, will accelerate with education. That's of why Carrier convenes the Distinguished Sustainability Lecture Series, in hopes that the discussions of today will help drive technological advancements and shape the decisions made for years to come. To date, the lecture series has reached over 3,850 professionals through 31 lectures in 19 cities across 15 countries. Events will be held later this year in Indonesia and India.
4. The UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings.Carrier, and its industry-leading products, will be featured in the UTC Center for Intelligent Buildings, a first of its kind global customer experience center set to open later this year in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
3. Our founder, Willis Carrier. The spirit of Willis Carrier, the inventor of modern air conditioning, is kept alive and well on williscarrier.com and on Twitter. Follow along with Willis as he shares the history and memorabilia surrounding the evolution of modern air conditioning.
2. Footprint in Thailand. Established in Thailand 86 years ago, Carrier installed the first chiller at the first Thailand indoor movie theater back in 1931 and over the years, has continued to provide HVAC solutions to customers in various industries.
1. Sustainable products. Globally, since 2000, Carrier products have avoided more than 225 million metric tons of carbon dioxide through advancements in energy efficiency, the equivalent of removing more than 47 million passenger vehicles from the road for one year. How cool is that?
Read more about home air conditioning.
This blog was developed by Carrier. All posts, sponsored and un-sponsored have been reviewed and approved by the Sustainable Community Media Editorial Team to ensure quality, relevance/usefulness and objectivity.