Five Ways to Improve Your Home for Earth Day
Earth Day is an annual reminder how our environment can be improved by collectively doing things to reduce pollution. So, think of some ways your family can help out this April 22. Here are a few easy things to consider (and you may even save money in doing so!):
- Plant trees - This is an annual tradition for Earth Day doers! A beautiful tree in your yard adds shade, giving your AC unit a breather in the summer. Trees are also appealing and add value to your property.
- Seal your attic - Heat rises, so check out your attic for air leaks of any size and seal them with caulking or insulation. Why heat the outdoors in the winter? Your furnace will last longer and your monthly energy bill will be reduced.
- Replace your air filter - Many homeowners make an effort to replace their furnace air filters during the winter months. Check out your furnace’s recommendations and make sure you also change during the summer months if you have central AC. Changing filters is critical especially if you have pets. Cat and dog hair can choke a filter in short order. It also improves conditions for allergy sufferers.
- Add a point of use water heater - Does one of the faucets in your home struggle to produce hot water? Perhaps it's in a remote part of the house or you just have an older water heating system. If you're not ready to replace the main heater in your home, consider adding on a point of use heater to give your system a boost. It gets installed under the sink, out of the way, and will produce endless hot water. Save water by avoiding long pipe runs just to get a bit of warm water.
- Seal your doors and windows - Run your hand around the window and door frames. These parts of your house are subject to settling and can become cracked. Small drafts may only require you to seal up the cracks with caulk, while bigger problems might be better solved by installing new windows and doors.
This blog was developed by EcoSmart. All posts, sponsored and un-sponsored have been reviewed and approved by the Sustainable Community Media Editorial Team to ensure quality, relevance/usefulness and objectivity.
Companies: EcoSmart Green Energy Products
Jens Bolleyer is Vice President of Marketing and Retail Sales at EcoSmart Green Energy Products Inc. Throughout his career, he has been involved in products and services that are aimed at energy or water efficiency. At GE, Jens focused on the Smart Home initiative, developing home automation products, enabling remote control of lighting, and appliances, including heating and cooling to optimize and minimize energy consumption. In his roles at Kohler Company and Elkay manufacturing, he got involved with the promotion of WaterSense® products for the residential and commercial building and remodeling markets. Now at EcoSmart, Jens helps homeowners find ways to save energy, save water and save space with electric tankless water heating products.