Quiet cooking tips with BEST range hoods
In most houses, the kitchen is the main gathering place. While it may get noisy in there, the range hood shouldn't be the main source of sound.
Perhaps you're surrounded by friends, chatting and sipping wine watching you sprinkle that final pinch of garlic into your famous marinara. Or the kids are bouncing around the kitchen, talking about the school day and soccer practice while you pan sear tilapia.
Even though you're standing over the stove, you want to be a part of the conversation. A noisy range hood fan can ruin all the fun.
That's where a quiet range hood makes all the difference. A quiet range hood – one that exhausts moisture and odors adequately and you can still carry on a normal conversation – starts with the design and equipment selection.
First, for the quietest possible operation, choose a model with the highest cubic feet per minute (CFM) capacity, even if it is more than needed. This will allow the hood to be operated at lower normal speeds where sound can be 50 percent quieter with appropriate duct size.
Next, consider the range hood ducting design.
- Create the shortest possible duct path by selecting a termination point on the roof or wall that will have the fewest turns back to the hood location. Keep in mind bigger duct is better.
- Never make the size or area of the ductwork smaller than the size that originates at the hood.
- Keep duct length less than 50 linear feet.
- Minimize use of elbows and transitions (4 or less).
- Always separate 90° elbows with at least 2 feet of straight ductwork.
- When using a remote exterior blower, using one 90° elbow will reduce noise transmission into the hood
- Place transitions at least 1 foot from the hood outlet or remote blower inlet.
The BEST line of range hoods from Broan-Nutone was designed to decrease blower sound levels without sacrificing performance. These hoods use the iQ Blower System that incorporates three innovations to deliver up to 2 times quieter operation; a digital BLDC motor , smooth flow blower housing and improved efficient wheel design. And at normal speed it’s virtually silent.