Call for Entries to National Housing Innovation Awards
Entries are open for the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) Housing Innovation Awards that show case homes that meet the most rigourous guidelines for high performance homes.
Sam Rashkin, Chief Architect of the Building Technologies Office, recently issued this call for entries.
Okay, you’ve done the hard part. You’ve become a Zero Energy Ready Home builder partner and have constructed and certified homes. Now, let's reward all that hard work and take advantage of an opportunity for special recognition for a truly special achievement. After all, you are in the top 1% of builders in the country constructing homes that meet the federal government’s most rigorous guidelines for performance excellence.
The Housing Innovation Awards not only offer you the chance to earn a prestigious national award, but they come with a whole system of recognition. Consider the following benefits as a potential winner of the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) Housing Innovation Awards:
- National awards are hard to come by and immediately raise the stature of a home building business. Winners can prominently promote this distinction with the plaques provided by DOE as well as with announcements in ads, web sites, and signage.
- All Housing Innovation Award winning homes are automatically added to the Zero Energy Ready Home ‘Tour of Zero’. This web site allows homebuyers to virtually tour extensive examples of the ‘home of the future, today’ in all climate regions including great images, homeowner and builder testimonials, performance metrics showing why these homes are so special, simple statistics, floor plans, and links directly to each builder.
- DOE is anticipating working with over 100 product manufacturers and associations to engage American consumers to take the ‘Tour of Zero’ and learn about a whole new level of home owner experience provided by our nation’s leading home builders.
- You can provide links to your homes on the ‘Tour of Zero’ for added trust you are a special builder by showing your prospective buyers it’s not just you saying you’re special, but also the DOE.
- DOE will be providing press release templates to all award winners to help them promote their national recognition locally.
By the way, if you’re reading this article and you’re a home energy rating system (HERS) rater or architect working with home Zero Energy Ready Home builder partners, take this opportunity to increase the value of your services by informing your builder clients about this award and offering to assist in preparing the application. The Zero Energy Ready Home team is hosting two webinars on the application process and best practices later this month. This is a great opportunity to learn about the awards, how to apply for them, and what criteria the judges will be looking for.
As I have said in the past, it is easy to be cynical about awards, but not this time. Zero is the future and Zero Energy Ready Home builders deserve recognition for leading the way.
For the fourth consecutive year, the Housing Innovation Awards will be presented at the EEBA High Performance Home Summit. The Summit is scheduled for October 10-12 at the Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center in Atlanta. Visit the EEBA High Performance Home Summit site to register.
Companies: U.S. Department of Energy