Ductless mini split systems on the rise in North America
Ductless mini splits have been used internationally for many years as the primary method of heating and cooling. Now, their popularity in U.S. and Canadian markets is increasing at a rapid pace.
Now that temperatures are on the rise, consumers and contractors should look to the emerging market of ductless mini split systems for their cooling and heating needs.
Pawel P., CEO of Younits.com, the leading online HVAC retailer, noted that “ductless mini splits have been used internationally for many years as the primary method of heating and cooling. Now, their popularity in U.S. and Canadian markets is increasing at a rapid pace."
|Read about ducted mini splits in the Proud Green Home at Serenbe.|
Ductless systems are not only being installed in room additions; mini splits are being utilized as the primary source of heating and cooling in both residential and commercial applications. Some of the many benefits of mini split systems are:
- Individual zones; heat and cool specific spaces when desired.
- Cheaper to install and maintain.
- Available in higher SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) ratings (up to 26 SEER) than traditional central split systems.
- Flexible installation options, including wall, ceiling and floor mounted indoor unit styles.
- Minimal energy loss; air does not travel through ductwork.
- Can also be used for additions or garages where ducting has not been extended.
- Quiet operation.
- Heating capabilities down to a temperature of -15° F.
Mini splits are available in single zone and multi zone configurations with up to 8 indoor units for almost any application. Mini splits are available from many manufacturers, including LG, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu and Samsung brands.
When purchasing a mini split system, don't forget the accessories. Refrigerant line sets (and included electric cable) are used to connect the outdoor and indoor unit(s). They are available in 15-foot to 50-foot lengths; line sets can be purchased independently or as part of an installation kit which includes all parts needed to complete the installation. There are optional accessories available as well such as condensor pads, wall brackets and line set covers.
Read more about energy-efficient heating and cooling.
Companies: Fujitsu General America