Green building industry innovators recognized for sustainability initiatives
During Greenbuild 2015, The BOLD Awardsrecognized Building OptimizersLeaders and Disruptors who are driving change and innovation in prestigious green building projects across the country. Organized in its inaugural year by Aquicore, Building Robotics, Enlighted and View, The BOLD Awards Ceremony celebrated four outstanding individuals who are creating a better, more sustainable built environment.
Judges assessed candidates based on a handful of criteria, including:
- Environmental impact: What environmental impact has the nominee created or expected?
- Human impact: How did the nominee change comfort, productivity, or the general well-being of the community?
- Innovation: Did the nominees implement an innovative project?
The 2015 recipients for each category were:
1. The Champion - Sara Neff, Vice President of Sustainability at Kilroy Realty Corporation
2. The Mentor - Russell Perry, Director of Sustainable Design at SmithGroupJJR
3. The Inventor - Davida Herzl, CEO & Co-Founder of Aclima
4. The Unsung Hero - William (Bill) Updike, Chief of the Green Building & Climate Branch, Department of Energy & the Environment, Government of the District of Columbia
Bold Award Winners, from left to right: Russell Perry, Sara Neff, Davida Herzl & Bill Updike
"With such a talented group of applicants, selecting the four BOLD Award recipients proved challenging," said Elaine Hsieh, VERGE Program Director at GreenBiz Group. "But ultimately, the recipients demonstrated a unique and distinct dedication to innovation in sustainability, and we are proud to recognize them for their accomplishments."
Judges for the first annual awards program included: Scot Horst, Chief Product Officer at USGBC; Elaine Hsieh, VERGE Program Director at GreenBiz Group; Kira Gould, Director of Communications at William McDonough + Partners; Cliff Majersik, Executive Director at Institute for Market Transformation; Mark Frankel, Technical Director at New Buildings Institute; Gary Dillabough, Managing Partner at The Westly Group; Phil Williams, Executive Director at Delos.
"In our inaugural year, The BOLD Awards attracted nearly 100 exceptional candidates with amazing credentials," said Jessica Appelgren, Enlighted Director of Marketing & Public Relations. "The organizers are proud to have connected leaders from across the industry, and look forward to reviewing another incredible pool of talent next year."
For more information about the awards competition, please visit www.theboldawards.com.