Interest in metal roofing rises in hurricane-prone areas
After a destructive hurricane season last year, homeowners throughout much of the southern United States are looking to better protect their homes as another season looms.
They’re increasingly turning to durable materials, such as metal roofing.
According to Metal Roofing Alliance research, consumer interest in metal roofing continues to rise. Officials with the organization attribute that rise to the performance of metal roofs during severe storms. Many metal roofing systems can withstand winds in excess of 140 mph (equal to an F2 tornado) and provide protection against impact damage from large hailstones and debris.
In fact, areas like Monroe County in the Florida Keys have considered mandates to require all new or replacement roofs to be metal to help “harden homes” in the hurricane-prone area. According to the Monroe County staff summary, post-Hurricane Irma inspections found that “metal roofs fared far better than those roofs covered by asphalt shingles.”
Part of the key to the performance of metal roofing in high winds is due to its attachment methods and interlocking installation where panels are overlapped and attached to the structure of the building, reducing the ability of wind to catch on the actual roof. Proper installation is paramount. With re-roofing season underway, the Metal Roofing Alliance says homeowners and contractors should heed FEMA’s advice for metal roofing systems in high wind areas.
Among the recommendations:
1. Follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions and local building code requirements.
2. Calculate loads on the roof assembly in accordance with ASCE 7 or the local building code, whichever results in the highest loads.
3. Specify and purchase a metal roofing system that has been tested to provide sufficient uplift resistance to meet design uplift loads.
4. Ensure suitable roof system design components, including quality underlayment system, proper clip and fastener placement.
5. Obtain the services of a professional, reputable roofing contractor to install the roofing system.