New black vinyl windows are a cool solution with a hot color
Photos courtesy of Ply Gem
Black window frames add dramatic accents to a variety of building styles, from modern light commercial structures to traditional homes. But this is one hot color trend that poses special challenges to the window market: black (and other dark colors) absorb solar heat, which can cause warping in vinyl window frames and sashes.
The Ply Gem Windows 1500 Vinyl Collection solves the problem with a black capstock over a white co-extruded under layer, which reflects sunlight and limits heat gain. Now building even more choice into every view through the 1500 Vinyl Collection, builders and architects can have peace of mind when specifying black vinyl windows. The new exterior color is available on all 1500 Vinyl Collectionoperating styles, including single hung, sliding, picture and architectural shape windows.
The 1500 Vinyl Collection consolidates Ply Gem Windows’ multiple vinyl window options into one platform, with a common sash and common sizing. The line is completely customizable – builders pay only for the upgrade options they want without getting features they don’t need – and offers easy professional installation and better energy performance choices.
Key Product Features
- Black capstock over white co-extruded under layer.
- Available in flat, beveled and brickmould frame options.
- Multiple shapes and sizes.
- Five exterior colors, including black, dark bronze, white, beige and clay.
- Various grille and simulated divided lite (SDL) options. Low-E, low-E with Argon, and triple-glazed glass options.
- Jamb alignment clips to help center the unit in the opening.
- Easy-to-remove meeting rail with a clip and anchor, ideal for drywall installations.
- Integral J-channel and optional double utility trim for simple siding installation.
- Integral mulls.
- Accessory groove for extensions and receivers.
- Protective construction film to keep the window clean, from shipping to job-site.
- Thirteen glass packages, including eight upgraded dual pane options and four triple pane options are available, meet ENERGY STAR Version 6 requirements.
- The 1500 Vinyl Collection – designed for multi-family, systems-built, production builder and custom home applications – is available through a nationwide network of distributors.
Read more about high performance windows.