See How Your Home Compares Nationally with 2016 Census Bureau Housing Report
Photo via ShutterStock.com
On June 1, the U.S. Census Bureau released the 2016 Characteristics of New Housing Report, which provides annual statistics on the characteristics of new privately owned residential structures by census region. The report includes characteristics such as the number of bedrooms and bathrooms, the location of the laundry, presence of homeowner’s association, the buyer’s source of financing and the structure’s square footage.
The survey uses data collected by the Census Bureau’s Survey of Construction, which is jointly funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Highlights of Annual 2016 Characteristics of New Housing
Of the 738,000 single-family homes completed in 2016:
- 686,000 had air-conditioning.
- 71,000 had two bedrooms or less and 336,000 had four bedrooms or more.
- 25,000 had one and one-half bathrooms or less and 273,000 homes had three or more bathrooms.
- 178,000 had stucco as the primary exterior wall material.
- 200,000 had a full or partial basement.
- 61,000 had concrete framing.
The median size of a completed single-family house was 2,422 square feet.
Of the 321,000 multifamily units completed in 2016:
- 17,000 were age-restricted.
- 9,000 had a fireplace.
- 167,000 were in buildings with four floors or more.
- 213,000 were heated using electricity.
- 134,000 had one bedroom.
The median size of multifamily units built for rent was 1,085 square feet, while the median of those built for sale was 1,706 square feet.
Of the 13,000 multifamily buildings completed in 2016:
- 2,000 had 4 floors or more.
- 12,000 had laundry facilities located in the individual units.
- 4,000 did not have parking in the building or the complex.
- 1,000 had 50 units or more.
Of the 561,000 single-family homes sold in 2016:
- 500,000 were detached homes and 61,000 were attached homes.
- 395,000 were in a community with a homeowners’ association.
- 380,000 had a 2-car garage.
- 129,000 had brick as the primary exterior wall material.
- 396,000 were paid for using conventional financing and 29,000 were paid for in cash.
The median sales price of new single-family homes sold in 2016 was $316,200, while the average sales price was $372,500.
The median size of a new single-family home sold was 2,497 square feet.
116,000 contractor-built single-family homes were started in 2016.
The median contract price was $280,300.
Note: the estimates shown here are based on sample surveys and are subject to sampling variability as well as nonsampling error.
See an interactive infographic on the Census Bureau site here.
Read more about sustainable home building trends.