Great Green Home | Morton Road by Sunroc Builders
The family living in builder Scott Willemsen’s latest high-performance home are “more than pleased” with their monthly utility bills. The utilities in their new 1,407-ft² all-electric home in Lakeland, Florida, average less than $70/month. In previous homes, they had seen bills as high as $400 a month and according to the home owners those homes weren’t as comfortable as their new home, which was built to the high performance criteria of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Zero Energy Ready Home program.
This is the third home that Willemsen has certified since joining the program in 2015 and the third home his company, Sunroc Builders LLC, has constructed. Willemsen began building houses to replace the older homes on his rental properties, which included several 30- and 40-year old low-cost rental homes. He sought out energy-efficient construction ideas after hearing too many complaints from renters who could afford his low rents but couldn’t afford their high utility bills.
Read more about this home by clicking on the images below.
- Name: Morton Road
- Location: Lakeland, FL
- Layout: 3 bdrm, 2 bath, 1 fl, 1,407 ft2
- Climate Zone: IECC 2A, hot-humid
- Completion: October 2015
- Category: Affordable
Modeled Performance Data:
- HERS Index: without PV 48
- Projected Annual Energy Costs: without PV $817
- Projected Annual Energy Cost Savings (vs home built to 2010 FBC) without PV $695
- Projected Annual Energy Savings: without PV 6,066 kWh
- Added Construction Cost: without PV $10,000
Companies: U.S. Department of Energy