Proud Green Home of St Louis opens its doors
Hibbs Homes, a nationally renowned green construction company in St Louis hosted an open house celebrating the completion of their “Proud Green Home” construction project, located in the Wildwood area of St. Louis County, Missouri.
The high performance five-bedroom, 3,700 square-foot Prairie-style home – built in partnership with Verdatek Solutions, Curtiss W. Byrne Architect, and the High Performance Buildings Research Center (part of the Midwest Energy Efficiency Research Consortium at the University of Missouri-Columbia) – is the third high performance showcase home Hibbs Homes has built in the St. Louis area. It was constructed to provide the homeowners with better indoor air quality, lower energy costs, and better durability. This “Proud Green Home” will also educate and inspire building professionals and consumers about the benefits of building and living green. It is the second high performance demonstration home created with support from ProudGreenHome.com.
The homeowners – who will move into their new home at the end of February – contracted with Hibbs Homes to build a structure that would not cause adverse respiratory issues for one of their children who has asthma and allergies. Hibbs Homes built the new home using products with low presence of VOCs, and incorporating an energy recovery ventilator (ERV) to ensure continuous ventilation as well as a comfortable environment for the rest of the family.
The Proud Green Home of St. Louis is the first of its kind in Missouri, and meets a number of prominent green building standards, including:
- Energy Star for Homes
- ANSI ICC-700 The National Green Building Standard
- DOE Zero Net Ready home
- EPA Indoor airPlus
Other notable high performance features of the “Proud Green Home” include:
- Integrity Windows from Marvin
- Dow Building Solutions including spray foam insulation
- LG major appliances
- LG Electronics
- Mattingly Lumber & Millworks factory-built walls and trusses
- Benjamin Obdyke Home Slicker Rainscreen
- Boral interior and exterior brick and stone
- Cree Lighting LED lights
- Continuous slab insulation
- Huber ZIP System sheathing and tape and AdvanTech flooring
- STEP Warmfloor radiant underfloor heating
- Solatube tubular daylighting devices
- GeoComfort geothermal heating and cooling system
- Kohler low-flow plumbing fixtures
- Zehnder America Energy Recovery Ventilation
- ACT D'MAND Kontrol Systems
- EcoDrain hot water heat recovery system
- KleenWrap subfloor construction barrier
- Solar power ready
- Solar water heating ready
Read more about the Proud Green Home of St. Louis.
Click on the photos below to see a slide show of the Proud Green Home of St. Louis.
Topics: Appliances, Building Green, Certification / LEED, Connected Homes / Smart Homes, Energy Audits, Energy Star, Exteriors, Fireplaces, Foundations, Geothermal Heating & Cooling, GREAT GREEN HOMES, Heating & Cooling, Home Design & Plans, Indoor Air Quality, Insulation, Kitchen, Lighting, Lumber and Structured Panels, Paint | Low VOC and No VOC, Proud Green Home of St. Louis, Ranges, Refrigerators, Ventilation, Water Saving Devices, WaterSense
Companies: Cree Inc., Dow Building Solutions, Kohler, Marvin Windows and Doors, Kleendeck, LLC, Enertech Global, LLC, Benjamin Obdyke, Zehnder America, ACT D'MAND Systems, Huber Engineered Woods, STEP Warmfloor, EcoDrain