With new devices it's easier to make your home smarter
Sales of smart home devices will exceed 20 million units by the end of 2014 and increase to 36 million units by 2017, according to Parks Associates and manufacturers are making it easier to make new and existing homes smarter.
“Product features can really impact adoption rates and sales,” said John Barrett, Director of Consumer Analytics, Parks Associates. “Over 40% of U.S. broadband households planning to buy a smart thermostat prefer a more expensive advanced model with more features, and nearly two-thirds of these shoppers are likely to replace their existing unit before it is necessary. This finding highlights the potential of feature-rich models to speed up the upgrade cycle.”
At the 2015 International Builders' Show, Steve Connor, senior product line manager, Nortek Security and Control, discussed the latest smart home products from Nutone, a Nortek company.
Connor noted that all products in the line require a Z-Wave based hub and connect to most Z-wave based home-control systems.
NuTone Smart Home Garage Door Controller:
- Homeowners will never accidentally leave their garage doors open again with the ability to open, close and monitor sectional garage doors from anywhere using a smartphone or tablet.
- Using a special secure communication command class, your garage door is as safe as your front door.
- Controller also has the ability to automatically trigger other Z-Wave-enabled devices within a smart home, such as interior lights and thermostats, once garage door is open or closed.
- Manufactured with safety in mind, it is compliant with UL325 and works in conjunction with the garage doors existing safety measures for assured safe remote operation of the garage door.
- Compatible with most existing garage door operators.
NuTone Smart Home Thermostats:
- Communicating, programmable Thermostats allow homeowners to set, adjust, schedule and monitor their thermostat from their smartphone or home automation and control system.
- Thermostats are compatible with over 95 percent of existing control systems on the market today.
- Enjoy easier & faster installation with Z-Wave and WiFi Connectivity
- Engineered to work in unison with other Z-wave wireless controllers and products as part of a fully integrated smart home. Other products such as the Garage Door Controller can turn your Smart Thermostat to away-mode when you leave your house, saving energy.
NuTone Smart Home Lighting:
- Smart Bulb is the easiest DIY home automation installation product. Simply screw it in and pair it to the hub and you are done. No wiring needed.
- With the Smart Light Bulb or Smart Wall Dimmer Switches, homeowners can control lighting from anywhere including turning lights on or off, dimming lights, monitoring lights or scheduling lights.
- LED light bulb is equivalent to 60 watts and provides soft, warm glow in any room with up to 100 dimmer levels.
- Smart Fixture Control Module allows homeowner to connect remote ceiling fans or lights to the Z-wave hub and control through a smartphone or tablet. You can now install a light or fan anywhere you have power without the need to pull wires to a switch.
- Get easier and faster installations with the Three-way Wall Dimmer Switch which allows you to control from one to five lights from multiple switches within the home without the need for traveler wires. Installing 3/4/5-way switches has never been easier.
NuTone Smart Home Outlets:
- The Z-Wave Wall Outlet allows the homeowner to turn on/off, monitor or schedule anything plugged into the outlet with their smartphone.
- Designed with spring loaded slides, the Wall Outlet is compliant with 2008 National Electrical Code requiring tamper resistant outlets for all new dwelling constructions and renovations.
- The Plug-In Controllable Outlet offers the same controls as the Z-Wave Wall Outlet, without the need for installation into the wall. The controllable outlet plugs in directly to an existing outlet, for a quick and easy DIY installation.
- When integrated with the NuTone Z-Wave Garage Door Controller, the garage can trigger a light to turn on or off, for energy savings or to make it look like someone is home for security.
Read more about smart and connected homes.
Each home in the Latitude project was designed to provide a low-maintenance, energy-efficient lifestyle.
One of the key energy-efficiency strategies for the Proud Green Home of Louisville is the use of geothermal heating and cooling.
Sponsored by: Enertech Global, LLC
The owner needed solar panels that could stand up to New England winters.
Self-cleaning technology, automation remove contaminants, extend life of HVAC units
Lux's Kono technology automatically adjusts for optimal comfort, savings
The Proud Green Home of Louisville uses whole-home water filtration to provide fresh water to every fixture and appliance.
Sponsored by: Environmental Water Systems
All unit components designed to be removed in less than 10 minutes
Aesthetics only part of appeal of Johnson Controls' newest product
Solution design focuses on positive up-front, back-end financial impact
Samsung anticipates technology to be game-changer
Technology gives HVAC units 'mind of its own'
Improving efficiency, occupant comfort key as building envelopes tighten
The system provides 100 percent heating capacity down to -5 degrees Fahrenheit, for customers in the colder climates of North America.
Though the floor plan is compact, homeowners of the Saltbox won't have to sacrifice having friends over or entertaining.