A Factsheet from Austin Energy's Green Building Program: Low and No-VOC Paints
While paint color and finish have a major impact on the overall aesthetics of a space, the paint itself may have a major negative impact on the healthfulness of a home. Paint may contain chemicals called Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) which evaporate into the air and are harmful for the health of the occupants as well as to the environment.
Download this fact sheet to learn why paint choice should high on the list when building a green home, not just an afterthought. Topics discussed include:
- Understanding the potential health effects of paint
- Understanding VOC and toxicity ratings
- How to choose the least toxic finishes
- Handling and disposal of any paint
- Resources for eco-friendly paints