Composting Toilets: Questions and Answers
Composting toilets eliminate the need for flush toilets, thereby greatly reducing water use and hydraulic load to a septic system. Composting toilets also allow for the recycling of valuable plant nutrients by producing a soil-like supplement. Composting toilets can be used anywhere a flush toilet can be used, but are also well suited to to locations where flush toilets are not feasible.
Download this fact sheet to learn about composting toilets and to determine if this sanitation solution is right for you. Topics discussed include:
- Objectives of composting toilets
- Components of a composting toilet system
- Factors affecting the rate of composting
- Operation and maintenance requirements
- Advantages and disadvantages of composting toilets