Green Home Buyer's Guide
Buying a home is a significant investment and a choice that will have an ongoing impact on your quality of life including how you travel to and from work, your family's health, and your utility bills. The home you buy also has an impact on our environment from the natural resources consumed in its construction to the greenhouse gasses generated to keep it warm.
In the city of Seattle, you can now search the Northwest Multiple Listing Service (NWMLS) for homes that have environmental certifications of BUILT GREEN, Northwest ENERGY STAR and LEED. These green building certifications are used to ensure that a building was designed and built with the environment, health and community in mind.
Download this document to learn about the top 10 questions to ask about your future green home such as:
- Does the location fit my family's lifestyle?
- Has this home been certified by a green building program?
- Is the home well insulated and are the windows energy efficient?
- Are the appliances and lighting ENERGY STAR rated?
- What are the average utility costs?