Green Home Remodel: Healthy Homes for a Healthy Environment - Roofing
A quality roof plays a key role in protecting the rest of your home from the elements. If you find you are in need of a roof replacement, approaching the process with green remodeling principles in mind will maximize your roof's protective qualities, and your investment, while minimizing its environmental impact.
A green remodel can help you realize many benefits from a single smart design. With careful planning, you can create a home that combines beauty, efficiency, comfort and convenience with health and conservation.
This guide can serve as a staring point for your roofing project to help you take a wide-angle and long-term view of your options such as:
- Evaluating roofing choices with additional green criteria
- Focusing on long-term savings versus initial cost
- Assessing the life-cycle costs of the prospective materials
- Ensuring your roof really needs replacing rather than repairing
- Locating qualified installers of unique roofing options
- Understanding sheathing and flashing choices
- Reusing and recycling the old roof