Own Your Power! A Consumer Guide to Solar Electricity for the Home
This consumer guide about solar electricity for the home includes information about the types of solar electric systems, how to choose a system, financing and costs. The guide includes different types of solar electric systems, including grid-connected, which consist of:
- Solar panels mounted on the roof
- An inverter to convert electricity produced by the system from direct current (DC) energy into alternating current (AC) energy
- A junction box that connects the solar panel wiring to the breaker panel on the home
- A power meter that displays how much power the home produces and uses
- A disconnect switch that, for safety reasons, prevents the system from sendingpower to the grid during power outages
There are many factors to consider in incorporating solar energy systems. Explore if this possibility is right for you.