Passive Solar Design for Homes
Locating and placing a home based on the sun is called solar orientation. Solar orientation allows a home to make the most use of the sun's heat in the winter, and at the same time, makes sure the building will not get too hot in the summer. Homes designed with passive solar principles use the changing position of the sun to benefit the home throughout the year.
Download this fact sheet to learn about the elements of passive solar design including:
- Understanding how to allow or block the direct rays of the sun
- Designing a direct gain system
- Understanding thermal mass and thermal storage
- Utilizing an indirect gain system
- Natural shading with landscaping