Straw Bale Construction
The practice of using straw bales for constructing walls has been around since 1900, but this technique is being renewed as an alternative to stick-frame construction for building highly insulating walls. Stucco-covered straw bales offer a thick wall system which is durable, healthy, and fire and pest-resistant.
Download this fact sheet to learn about this unusual construction material and the following topics:
- What straw is and what it is not
- How an undesirable agricultural product can be a desirable construction material
- Cost considerations of straw bale construction
- How walls are constructed using straw bales
- Types of straw bale construction